RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

Question about LD players

artistic_gore

Question about LD players

Post  artistic_gore on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:13 am

Hello,

I am looking at better players than what I currently have. Right now I could get my hands on a pioneer DVL-700 for $50 or an Elite DVL-91 for $250. My question is, most things aside (current condition and whatnot), would it be worth looking at the Elite for $200 more, or are the shortcomings of the 700 negligable and it would be better to spring for that unit? Both of the players come with ~40 discs. The lot with the 700 has fewer duplicates for me but they did not include photos showing their condition. Currently I have two units, a CLD-1190 and a CLD-D502 neither of which I am happy with. The 502 does have both side play but it only has RCA out. The 1190 has s-video but it doesn't work. Also, no AC-3 audio on either unit.

Thanks
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Tricky one.

Post  DGTWoodward on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:37 am

Both the DVL-700...

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/dvl-700.htm

and the DVL-91 Elite...

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_elite_dvl-91/pioneer_elite_dvl-91.htm

will both give you a whole host of features that are very good indeed, and the review on the archive site shows a pretty decent write-up for the 700. Having said that there are people that swear by all things 'Elite'

I have been in this dilemma myself with exactly this same Elite machine model. I was actually recommended to try a find a better Elite. The response was pretty much the same for more or less any DVL machine in general.

But my experience is this...Take a look at my sig, I have a DVL-909 combo machine as my main player, and a CLD-D925 as my second player. I don't regret buying them for a second and now my TVs are set up properly (thank you Joe Kane) they are giving me lovely pictures, and I would not go back and change a thing.

Do your research, make a list of all the things you need your player to do, find one that matches and go for it.

artistic_gore

Re: Question about LD players

Post  artistic_gore on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:33 am

Thank you for the reply. I will do my research indeed. Now that I have learned a little more about my CLD-1190 I am happy with it for the time being except that it produces a shaky picture from time to time. Next week I will be playing with my cousins elite (though I don't know which model) and I hope that it gives a slightly more stable picture.
    Earthtime3978

Post  Earthtime3978 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 am

I realize money is always a factor when buying better laserdisc players. The truth is you will not get a quality picture from the lower end models. Laserdisc players did not reach there zenith until the mid to late 90s. Really consider saving some money and getting a CLD 703 or 704. Consider also the monitor you are viewing the discs on.

In my opinion-and I stress my opinion, any of the DVD/LD combo players are really over rated.

Oliver_uk

Post  Oliver_uk on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:25 pm

yes try and go with the CLD703 or 704 if you are on a budget. Don't bother with the DVL players.

babayaga

Post  babayaga on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:37 am

Oliver_uk wrote:yes try and go with the CLD703 or 704 if you are on a budget. Don't bother with the DVL players.

all depending on your equipment, you should concider importing a cld-r7g quite cheap from Japan. the 704 is quite basic without any good filters. the r7g is a step up fra 97/99 also, and no smearing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:36 pm