RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

3 posters

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?

pkepneriv

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  Empty RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?

Post  pkepneriv Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Ok everyone what do you think would be better? I have a Pioneer VSX-1019-AH currently and a HVL-909 LD player. Would it be best to get a RF AC-3 demodulator and connect it to my current receiver or should I get an older receiver that has THX, AC-3 input and all the bells and whistles? What would make for the best sound and video screnerio? I know the older receiver only runs up to component but LD doesn't go that high anyway and it would be nice to have a THX ultra certified receiver. My current receiver has HDMI all the way. Any advice?

Thanks guys!
    Paul
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  Empty I am not too hot on THX receivers...

Post  DGTWoodward Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Do they boost the picture any? If "yes" would it be to a higher degree than a non-THX AV amp would?

There are however some definite refinements and benefits that you would get from such an item.

1) You would have one less item of equipment to place into your system.

2) You would have one less piece of electrical equipment that you'd be paying to keep plugged in.
    pkepneriv

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  Empty Re: RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?

Post  pkepneriv Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 pm

So you think that an older THX receiver with an AC-3 input would work out best for the best sound and picture quality for watching laserdisc? I thought about buying a 720p projector just to watch my laserdiscs on so I can see them almost like at a theater. I could use it also for watching my DVD player and my Bluray player. Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Paul
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  Empty Not quite...

Post  DGTWoodward Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Sadly for you, they both have benefits that you can exploit and get great results from. But they achieve them in different ways.

From my personal experience...and this is in no way a sterling recommendation, it was just how things turned out for my wife and me, we went the amp and demodulator route. Partly because I didn't realise that PIONEER and others made amps with built-in one until after I already had one...

...but mainly because I purely 'lucked' into one. I was after a cheap little CLD-S315 as a stand-by (if all else fails) type player on eBay, which came with about 50 discs and it was about £50-GBP which for me was a decent sort of price. Then about 4 days into the 6 day auction, I noticed a revision where the seller had found his demodulator and added it to the lot.

I won it at £65...a PAL/NTSC, AC3 capable machine, 50 titles and a demodulator all for that money (about $101-US).

Like I said, I lucked out.
    culttv

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  Empty ac3 demodulater

Post  culttv Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:08 am

Hi, just from my own experieance. I use a seperate ac3 decoder connected to my new Dennon amp. I also find that it does not upscale the laserdisc picture that well. Far better to take the video feed straight in to your tv. my old amp had bult in ac3 modulater. And I can't tell the diferance between that and the externel decoder which I use on my new amp. You can find them on ebay for about £50.00. hope this helps. Cheers

Sponsored content

RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?  Empty Re: RF AC-3 Demodulator and receiver question ?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:48 pm