RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Whats with this? (remote control question) EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

2 posters

Whats with this? (remote control question)

bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Whats with this? (remote control question) Empty Whats with this? (remote control question)

Post  bullruckle Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:56 am

So about a month a go, I chucked on a LD to watch but when I pressed play on my remote control nothing happened. I pressed other buttons, but still no reponse from the player. I changed the batteries, but still nothing.
    So then I got my mobile phone out and checked that the infrared was still working. It was. So I was thinking my player must be stuffed. Very annoying.
    Anyway, 2 weeks or so later, i tried the remote control again...and it worked! Strange I thought, but was happy it was working again.
    Then yesterday I put on Chasing Amy to listen to the Kevin Smith commentary (funny how he bags DVD) and the remote worked when i pressed play, but then i pressed fast forward and NOTHING, pressed stop and NOTHING. Even play wasn't working anymore.
    Tried the control today and...it's working again.

Any ideas why this would be happening?
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Whats with this? (remote control question) Empty Re: Whats with this? (remote control question)

Post  DGTWoodward Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:20 am

bullruckle wrote:So about a month a go, I chucked on a LD to watch but when I pressed play on my remote control nothing happened. I pressed other buttons, but still no reponse from the player. I changed the batteries, but still nothing.
    So then I got my mobile phone out and checked that the infrared was still working. It was. So I was thinking my player must be stuffed. Very annoying.
    Anyway, 2 weeks or so later, i tried the remote control again...and it worked! Strange I thought, but was happy it was working again.
    Then yesterday I put on Chasing Amy to listen to the Kevin Smith commentary (funny how he bags DVD) and the remote worked when i pressed play, but then i pressed fast forward and NOTHING, pressed stop and NOTHING. Even play wasn't working anymore.
    Tried the control today and...it's working again.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

That is odd. Does your phone confirm that the infra-red is functioning, even whist it seems to not be working the machine? Could it be a fault with the remote sensor in the player?

If the handset is broadcasting the infra-red beam but the machine is not gettting it properly, that would indicate a fault at definately at the machine end, and the most obvious first thought is, is the sensor still working properly?

Do you have a machine that is designated a "break for spares/repairs" set aside somewhere? Purely because of the lack of LASERDISC repair outlets available here in the UK now, I have a spare CLD-D925 and a spare CLD-D515 just in case something horrible happens. They do both work but they are not my main machines and if I need spare for, say, my main 925, then I know that I have some available straight away.

I know that this may seem a bit excessive and such, but I love my players and my collection and I just want to get as much life out of them as I can. So it was a part of my plan when I decided to buy one in the first place.

I am sorry, I appreciate your problem because this sort of stuff, when it happens to me, makes me want to pull my hair out, and at 46, I don't have that much left!!!

I really do hope that it is something simple and cheap. I should think that being in the LD capitol of the world, Japan, is going to make things a shade easier for you though, isn't it?

Last edited by DGTWoodward on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I read it and it did not make any sense!)
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Whats with this? (remote control question) Empty Re: Whats with this? (remote control question)

Post  bullruckle Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks DGTW. The controller is stuffed again. My cheap solution is to get up and press the buttons on the player itself. Very annoying.
    I've seen plenty of players on sale at the junk stores around town, but I dont really have the space to be buying and storing extra players in my tiny Japanese apartment (especially with my Laserdiscs taking up so much space).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 pm