RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

5 posters

I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!!

DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! Empty I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!!

Post  DGTWoodward Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:45 am

Hello from me Daron Woodward, from Warwick in the UK. I am a family man of 46 years. We live in a decent and comfortable area of Warwick (only about 5 minutes from the famous castle) and have been here for several years. I am truly blessed in that I have a terrific family that has happily embraced all aspects of our home theatre, even this retro addition we have just stepped into Very Happy

I missed the Laserdisc movement first time around as I just did not have the money, but more importantly, the appreciation for it at the time. I was young and my needs were a little more immediate. In truth, I needed a HIFI stereo system that would still give me Dolby Surround and that I could use to record things with.

I am just a beginner with Laserdisc really, in that I have only been buying items for six months. That said, I have actually been really lucky in my purchases, and in these six months I have gone from totally zero items....to two complete systems, as well as spares! So far all of my purchases have been via eBay.

My two main players (as well as the spares) are all PIONEER units - no surprise there then - and are CLD-D925s. I was very careful when I bidded on these as I had done no small amount of homework, so I knew that I wanted dual format, both side play, AC3 and optical out...and for it to fall in my price range. The 925 fit the bill perfectly.

Because of some shrewd watching, bidding and buying, I already had my first Laserdisc titles, THE STAR WARS DEFINITIVE EDITION boxed set, complete for £10.

What I did not know was that this was perhaps the worst set to try as my first real view of Laserdisc. With that horrid veneer of DNR sapping most of the fine detail out of the picture (thereby totally wasting the value of the complete new re-master made for the set) I was crushed.

My next purchase was a set of 54 films, in which was the NTSC STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITION boxed set. Those films were the first in, and what a difference it made too. Excellent picture quality and sound from a Laserdisc, easily as good as any DVD.

From that point on, we never looked back.

Interesting note here, and a direct reference back to the title of my thread. Something interesting is happening on eBay right now. I paid £55 for my 925. That was the player - in great condition - the remote and power lead. and that is all. A total of £55.

The same player, in the same condition is now being priced at over £100, that's twice as much for a good player, increasing to that level in less than 6 months.

Not bad for dead format.
    nissling
    nissling
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! Empty Re: I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!!

Post  nissling Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am

Laserdisc isn't dead, it can't die because it's immortal.

Welcome to this forum. Good that I'm not the only beginner when it comes to LD.
    Stevo
    Stevo
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

dead - I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!! Empty Re: I keep hearing that this format is dead!!!!

Post  Stevo Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Welcome. Long live LD. DVD & Blu-Ray will die, simply because they are too easy to throw away and re-burn. LaserDiscs are individual works of art in my book.
    LaserDiscMad
    LaserDiscMad

Post  LaserDiscMad Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Hello & welcome.
    RetroK
    RetroK
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  RetroK Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:20 am