RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
What have you been watching? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

+8
Mark
My Name is Anonymous
ktk0117
Rayzor1
Stevo
DGTWoodward
March
bullruckle
12 posters

What have you been watching?

My Name is Anonymous
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

What have you been watching? - Page 2 Empty Re: What have you been watching?

Post  My Name is Anonymous Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 am

I have recently started keeping a log of every film I watch using Twitter.

It can be found here http://twitter.com/#!/AnonymousManc

I thought it was a good way of keeping track of everything I have watched. Just wished I had started it years ago.

Mark
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Mark Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 am

Two Mario Bava greats: Lisa And The Devil and Baron Blood laserdisc are the latest I have watched.
    March
    March
    Admin

Post  March Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Just watched Vigilante [ purchased from Mark this evenin - cheers ] I really enjoyed the movie. It's a typical Death Wish type affair influenced by the spagetti revenge exploitation movies. Completely predictable and cheesy but brilliantly done.

Picture and sound were pretty good I have to say, I'd give it an overall a good 7/10
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:16 am

We just watched Guillermo Del Torro's CRONOS.

Like all his films, it is a little quirky, but it is a decent and fresh take on the 'Vampyre' schtick. Well worth catching if you can.

One rather odd thing though, Ron Perlman (a long time GDT collaborator) and Claudio Brook are in it. Not unusual in itself but then all of the film's dialogue is in Spanish but for Claudio and Ron's pieces. When they have lines, sometimes they are in English, sometimes Spanish and sometimes a mix of both in the sme scene!? What makes it more odd is that when this happens, everyone else responds to them in Spanish, as if they had spoken it too.

I assume that this was to be over dubbed later, at some point.

Strangley, it does not detract from the film as a whole, which holds up very well.

What does detract is the very poor picture and audio quality. Print damage is visible a lot of the time, with two very obvious and long scratches running for whole minutes in the early 'antique shop' sequence, that and the picture is very soft indeed too, to boot. Contrast and colour are pretty good, with details even in the dark holding up well.

The audio is just plain poor, with pops and cracks occasonally interupting the flow through the ealy part of the film, though it does settle down later.

A good and interesting film, let down by technicalities.

7/10
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

What have you been watching? - Page 2 Empty SPOILERS for Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer

Post  DGTWoodward Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm

We have just watched HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (NTSC unrated/uncut) Thank you Mark!!!

What a disturbing film. So well played my a very young Michael Rooker. This is based (though not very closely) on the life of real-life killer Henry Lee Lucas.

Its brutality and depictions of murder are shown very coldly, actually...with all the coldness and detachment of Henry himself.

The film also plays head games with the audience as to exactly who is more of a monster(and why) between Henry and his room-mate Otis?

Very well made film.

Shan't watch it again for a while.
    Mark
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Mark Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Yes, definitely a disturbing film. Michael Rooker really does play this stone cold killer very well.
    No fear, no cares.
    Certainly cruel but a brilliant film all the same.
    My Name is Anonymous
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  My Name is Anonymous Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:23 pm

I recently managed to get a copy of the Terminator 2: Judgement Day special edition, with the leatherette cover etc.

Terminator 2 hasnt aged at all and is still an amazing piece of action cinema.
    Reelmaster Oz
    Reelmaster Oz
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Reelmaster Oz Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 am

Lethal Weapon 2 and weekend at bernies last night as I just picked these up the other day
    Am getting more LD films on saturday, cheap from a lions club monthly goods sale in australia

they raise funds for good causes by selling donated goods
    Wim1310

Post  Wim1310 Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Goldfinger and Thunderball, the CAV THX editions. The picture quality is STUNNING, I completely forgot they were that good. I'd even go as far as to say they easely blow most dvd's out of the water. Very warm, colorful and razor sharp image! Really shows the potential of laserdisc. And with 40 year old movies!
    LaFong
    LaFong
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  LaFong Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 am

I'm with you on the Bonds, there. Mine was the latest Japanese release of You Only Live Twice. I recently climbed Mt. Fuji and felt a Bond-san kinship.
    IrlingLegorm
    IrlingLegorm
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  IrlingLegorm Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:22 am

Movie Switching Channels (Japan fully analog version). Compared to DVD, broadcast on TV or browsing the Internet in the LD version of the most warm and amazing sound image (LD sound is very clear.) It is interesting and the movie itself - an attempt to prosecutor (a candidate for election as governors) to arrange the direct TV broadcast executions on the electric chair like movies with anguish, murder and a demonstration of the body of Libyan leader in news and even in the children's programs. Journalists in the film to a not reached, they still had morals.

Photo online store. For now, this LD in my collection.
    What have you been watching? - Page 2 Img16513

DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 am

IrlingLegorm wrote:Movie Switching Channels (Japan fully analog version). Compared to DVD, broadcast on TV or browsing the Internet in the LD version of the most warm and amazing sound image (LD sound is very clear.) It is interesting and the movie itself - an attempt to prosecutor (a candidate for election as governors) to arrange the direct TV broadcast executions on the electric chair like movies with anguish, murder and a demonstration of the body of Libyan leader in news and even in the children's programs. Journalists in the film to a not reached, they still had morals.

Photo online store. For now, this LD in my collection.
    What have you been watching? - Page 2 Img16513

Thank you Irling, I'd forgotten about that film totally. My wife is a MAJOR Christopher Reeve fan, and we have been trying to track down all of his films...

This one makes another to add to the list. A very useful reminder, thank you Wink
    IrlingLegorm
    IrlingLegorm
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  IrlingLegorm Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Good evening, DGTWoodward! Christopher Reeve a wonderful actor and a very strong person. Even after the injury, he found the strength to fight and at the end of life, according to some reports, it appeared minimal movement in his hands (which is usually in patients with spinal cord injury, alas, not happening). He was a hero in the film and in life.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 am