RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

3 posters

Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA !

pkepneriv

Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! Empty Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA !

Post  pkepneriv Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:45 am

Hi everyone hows it going. I am an avid Laserdisc collector and have been for several years now. I had a Pioneer CLD-3070 LD player for quite a while and it worked great but I sold it and bought a very nice DVL-909 and love it.In my collection I have about 75 LDs. Most of them have THX and or AC-3 recorded sound. I would like to get a AC-3 demodulator but I haven't found one at the right price yet but I will Smile I would enjoy chatting with anyone that has an interest in Laserdisc. If you are in the states or even less Texas let me know. Take care and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers!
    Paul
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! Empty Hello....

Post  DGTWoodward Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Paul.

Welcome to the forums. We have a great (and evidently still growing) community here at RETRO-F, so you have come to the right place.

Regarding your search for a demodulator, I urge you to continue in this as DD-5.1 from a Laserdisc is just superb in most cases, and despite people throwing numbers at you to try and prove otherwise...really do seem to sound richer and fuller than their DVD counter parts. So it will be well worth it. And, you know, it gives you a nice little 'buzz' when you see that "DOLBY DIGITAL" beacon light up in your amp's display and you know that it's coming from your LD player Very Happy !!

I too have a DVL-909 in my living room. It is a smart machine and thanks to its optical-out, will give DTS 'from the box' Do you have any DTS discs? They are serious cool too. To see the DTS beacon light up from your LD is very pleasing. I don't have too many DTS titles (only 12 so far) but they are growing steadily. I am sure that you are well aware of all this anyway, but hey...we are here to chat Smile

I am just about to move my 909 out to give it a rest and put in my CLD-2950. This has had the AC3 mod so it will still give me excellent sound. I have 4 active machines, two 'in service' and two 'spare' players and I cycle them so that they each get a bit of a rest.

Finally, I moved you to the "Introductions" forum where you are much more likely to get noticed and replied to, instead of your first post being in an already started thread.

Great to have you here Paul. I know that the demod will come your way soon, it's usually just a case of correct timing and a little bit of luck.

Regards

Daron W
    (BATMAN, SUPERMAN, BABYLON 5, Dr. Who, HOT TOYS Figures, 007 mad moderator and local lunatic)
    icecapuk10
    icecapuk10
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! Empty Re: Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA !

Post  icecapuk10 Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 am

DTGWoodward wrote
    I am just about to move my 909 out to give it a rest and put in my CLD-2950. This has had the AC3 mod so it will still give me excellent sound. I have 4 active machines, two 'in service' and two 'spare' players and I cycle them so that they each get a bit of a rest.

Did you have this modification completed by Videotech of Oxford? I always wanted mine done. In the end I opted to purchase the newer CLD D925 which I currently still use today.Smile I too have a 909 U.S. version as a backup player(was using it until my 925 was repaired).
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! Empty As it was...

Post  DGTWoodward Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

icecapuk10 wrote:Did you have this modification completed by Videotech of Oxford?

No, I didn't. It came with the modification already made. I selected it very carefully to be that way. I found it on eBay and I won it for £85 including 43 films, which when you consider it, was a very good deal indeed.
    pkepneriv

Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA ! Empty Re: Hello from Dallas, Texas in the USA !

Post  pkepneriv Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 pm

I have my LD player running through my Pioneer VSX-1019-AH receiver and have the video up converted through the receiver to run through HDMI. It is connected to my theater wide Mitsubishi Diamond Series 65" projection TV. To me the picture looks great. I have connected the LD player directly to the TV and either way the picture looks the same. I do have a question though. Someone told me that I could run my AC-3 audio out from my LD player directly to my receiver and it would decode it. Is this true? I have never noticed if any of my LDs have DTS?

Cheers,
    Paul
    icecapuk10
    icecapuk10
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  icecapuk10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 am

Someone told me that I could run my AC-3 audio out from my LD player directly to my receiver and it would decode it. Is this true?
    Your VSX-1019-AH is not equipped with an AC-3 RF input( no demodulator onboard) So the answer would be False, hence the requirement of an external AC-3 RF demodulator. This demodulator changes the signal from RF to a digital format which then can be transferred directly to your amp from the demodulator via the coaxial cable . See this url for the Pioneer RFD-1 connections http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/PioneerRFD-1.htm

DTS laserdiscs have coloured banners along the top of the sleeves with "dts DIGITAL SURROUND" and cannot be missed. The discs themselves have the dts logo stamped on the labels. TBH the dts soundtracks have far more detail than AC-3 and do not require external demodulators as most home cimema amplifiers have this built in as standard and have done for about the last 15 years. Its a shame that only around 143 dts titles are available on Laserdisc.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 12:47 am