RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

4 posters

Pioneer CLD 2950

buckfast

pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 Empty Pioneer CLD 2950

Post  buckfast Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:58 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so hello. I'm from Teesside and have a small laserdisc collection.

I have a broken Pioneer CLD-515 which has AC3 output on the rear. My question is this - Can I use the AC3 components from the CLD515 and put them in my working CLD-2950? And how would I do it?

I have an amp with AC3 in so this would not be a problem.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks,
    Geoff.
    bhindy1970

pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 Empty AC3 Mod

Post  bhindy1970 Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 am

Hi geoff

shout out to another north east LD fan

i am sure if you are very technically minded it may be possible but i do know back in the early 90's (before the CLD925 was launched) a company in oxford was carrying out ac3 upgrades to 2950 models by removing both scart sockets and adapting and incorporating AC3 and s-vhs into the machine..it was very expensive upgrade at the time and there are modded 2950 ld players ...i did see one go with a collection of discs this last week on ebay......it looked a bit shabby at the back of the machine to be honest with gaffer tape over where the 2 scart sockets used to be.....my advice is when possible invest in a cld925 or other AC3 inclusive machine ...normally 1996 onwards (i use a cld925 myself) and it really was the best option to choose.

Barry
    500 disc collection
    Pioneer CLD925 player
    Pioneer 1750 player
    pioneer upscaler 1080i

running thru Yamaha AX1 amp
    buckfast

pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 Empty Re: Pioneer CLD 2950

Post  buckfast Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the info Barry,

I found the following instructions and thought they might be useful to others. Ive carried out the modification using the RF board from the CLD-515 but I've yet to test it.

Fingers crossed!! I'll keep you posted.

Specific Instructions for Individual Players
    Pioneer CLD-2950

The following instructions come courtesy of R Larsson. The Pioneer CLD-2950 is a dual-standard (NTSC/PAL) player for the European market, very popular and probably the best of its kind available.

Remove the top cover by loosening seven screws (two on each side and three on the back).

With the front of the player pointing towards you, remove the large board on the right side of the player by unscrewing four screws, and thereby "folding" the board out to the right, and placing it in the three slots designed to hold the board during service.

The narrow board you now see is the AFMB board (Analog FM sound board). The big chip on it is the "FM-demodulator and CX-decoding" HA12127ANT. Four of the five taps are done on this board, and you have to remove it completely from the player. Loosen two screws and one clip, then pull out the four jacks. You can now take the board out.

Now place the AFMB-board so you have three jacks on the right side, and one on the left side. You can install the home made AC-3/RF-board.

Solder the wire for +5V to jumper W187 on the left side of the AFMB-board. At the same place you'll find a marking for C175 which is not mounted. Place the wire for -5V in the hole for C175's negative pin (marked with a square), and solder it on the print side of the board. Similarly, solder the wire for GND to C175's positive pin. The wire for the AFM RF-signal (as short as possible!) is solded to jumper W355, on the right side of the board.

Fasten your home made board to the AFMB-board some way (double-sided sticky tabs should suffice).

Location of the Mute-signal
    On the edge of the main board (the one at the bottom of the player), above IC201, marked PULSEFLOW (D/A converter) you'll find a jumper marked W206 and MUTE. You'll need to solder the mute-signal wire to this jumper, but be careful not to touch any other wires with your iron during this operation.

Finally, mount the RCA jack, the coax, C2, and after putting the boards back in place you're ready to test you're glorious new creation.
    buckfast

Post  buckfast Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to report that my modification works 100%.

I am extremely impressed with the sound quality from the AC-3 RF output. So much so that I think it's actually clearer and far more precise than DVD and/or Blu Ray!

All I need to do now is find a suitable way, and place, to mount the board. At the minute the lid is off the player and the new board is clipped to the chassis.

buckfast

Post  buckfast Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to report that my modification works 100%.

I am extremely impressed with the sound quality from the AC-3 RF output. So much so that I think it's actually clearer and far more precise than DVD and/or Blu Ray!

All I need to do now is find a suitable way, and place, to mount the board. At the minute the lid is off the player and the new board is clipped to the chassis.

DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 Empty Well done!

Post  DGTWoodward Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Braver than me by far!!

Exclamation

Last edited by DGTWoodward on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    peti

Post  peti Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:55 am

I also have 2950...now I just need to find an ac-3 board. Was it difficult to do it, or just by going with the description everything was ok?
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

pioneer - Pioneer CLD 2950 Empty The 2950 is a fan favourite, and with good reason!

Post  DGTWoodward Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:39 am

The 2950 is a superb machine indeed, one of mine has the AC3 mod already, but the one that has not is a great machine in it own right.

Please keep us informed of your progress in the LD CHAT section, as with the mod it is a machine that is hard to beat.
    buckfast

Post  buckfast Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Hello,

It was surprisingly easy to be honest. All I'll say is take your time and read the instructions several times with the player opened up in front of you. This will help you to familiarise yourself with the the various points to which you will have to solder the connecting wires. If I get time over the weekend, I'll open the player back up ant take some photos for you. There are plans to make the board but if you can get a scrap AC-3 machine (mine was CLD-515) you should be able to use the board from that.
    I checked the voltage across the output while the newly converted machine was playing, the reading was 4.6vdc as specified in the instructions. As soon as the player was plugged into my amp the AC-3 lamp lit up and so did my face Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:34 pm