RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Greetings from Yorkshire EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

3 posters

Greetings from Yorkshire

Overheat

Greetings from Yorkshire Empty Greetings from Yorkshire

Post  Overheat Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Hello there to this little laserdisc community - I've been researching laserdiscs for a good year or so and just recently decided to take the plunge. I've just ordered a Pioneer CLD-D925 player and it comes with 50 laserdiscs for £130, which seems fairly reasonable though I have no idea what discs are included, regardless I'm very much looking forward to receiving it and having a play about with this new technology Smile
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Greetings from Yorkshire Empty Re: Greetings from Yorkshire

Post  DGTWoodward Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Welcome to the forums Overheat,

we are building a smart little community here at Retro, we may not be the only one, but I think that we are the best one.

Well done on the 925, that was my first ever player too! It's a good one as it does practically everything you'd need from a player made for the UK market. But like anybody else that joins, the first thing I tell people to do is to calibrate your TV to your player. There are LD that can do this...if you don't have one, don't spare the effort, do find one. You will be surprised at the difference it will make.

Now then, what say you run through your LDs a throw a list up for us to see what you've got.

Of course feel free to ask any questions, someone here will have the answer.

Also, your researches may have already given you this detail but www.lddb.com is a great tool for your collection.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Overheat

Post  Overheat Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi DGT, thank you for the warm welcome Smile

I was initially planning to use the player with my CRT tv, which is a 1984 Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 8902, but I completely forgot that it will only accept PAL signals, so I'll probably have to grin and bare it on my crappy LCD in the meantime until I can afford a decent PAL/NTSC CRT. I will endeavour to set it up as you suggest mind Smile

When I get the laserdiscs I'll stick a list on here. The chap I'm buying it from actually has 600 laserdiscs on ebay and is selling them in bulk auctions of 100 for £115 inc postage - pretty reasonable if you ask me, but it's a lottery as to what you'll get.

I've had an account on LDDb since I started to really become interested in Laserdisc, about a year ago, and I've recently upgraded to a seller account as I intend to list my duplicates on there too - I love that site, very useful indeed and looks like it will be a great place to buy and sell laserdiscs Smile

I'm also hoping to get a Yamaha DSP-A3090 to go with my Pioneer CLD-D925, but I just missed one on ebay - only went for £36 though, not bad for a unit that was £1700 in 1996 and has AC-3 modulation built-in Smile
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Greetings from Yorkshire Empty Re NTSC LD out and a PAL only TV...

Post  DGTWoodward Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 pm

If I am reading the instruction book properly, you should be able to get transcoded NTSC to work on your B+O TV.

The "System" button, just to the right of the display panel should be the key to it working. The page is a little vague, but it should mean that an NTSC signal will be transcoded to some sort of PAL signal without any further purchases.

I will try it on my PAL only (portable) test TV and let you know...unless you are in a position to try it yourself?

Daron W
    (BATMAN mad Moderator and knower of useless information)
    Overheat

Post  Overheat Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 pm

I've not received my player yet unfortunately so I cannot yet test this out. I've heard of something along these lines though when researching this player - I believe its some sort of psuedo-PAL format, though if it still uses 60Hz, then I'm not sure if it'll be much use to me as I doubt my TV will support 60Hz - certainly worth a try though until I upgrade Smile
    icecapuk10
    icecapuk10
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  icecapuk10 Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:02 pm

The Yamaha 3090 was a nice Amp, however If i was you i would maybe hold for a Yamaha A1 or AX1. I followed Yamaha for years from a DSP A970 and followed upgrades up to the AX1 but then defected to a Denon AVC A1SE which i still have. My D925 playing AC3 and DTS titles through my Denon is absolutley awesome however i do have a rel stadium 3 to cope with the bass Smile

Respect to Yorkshire, as most of my kit was bought from Bill Hutchinsons in Leeds and it was my source of laserdiscs until i found movie boulevard under the railway arches behind the corn exchange.
    Overheat

Post  Overheat Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Wow - those two places in Leeds sound very interesting, I'll have to see if they still exist Smile Do the amplifiers you mentioned support AC3 as standard or do they require a separate modulator - I'd prefer one that is integrated.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 am