RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

Suggestions for an LD comeback?

Earthtime3978

Suggestions for an LD comeback?

Post  Earthtime3978 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Ok, were stuck in the annoying world of pixelazation. But most of us are not anti-digital, after all LD has awesome digital sound. We're pro analog (video) and someimes for me, audio. We need the alternative: LASERDISC! What are your suggestions on how to bring Laserdisc alive again? It actually starts at the top, Pioneer etc., but no change will come unless there is a demand in the marketplace for it. We literally need a revival and I thank the owner of this website for being a part of that. I believe a "letter" campaign is the beginning. What do you say? Put it out there.

Laserdisk-Kid
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Re: Suggestions for an LD comeback?

Post  Laserdisk-Kid on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 am

Probably be easier to buy the rights for laserdisc of pioneer and buy some factory in some 3rd world country and start producing discs Razz

laserdisc is really niche as far as i can tell, although they do make some new records now so theres some hope maybe for laserdisc if some rich fan got the rights and stuff, i would but as a student i simply do nothave the money for such a scheme Razz

i might add, all because some Ld's go for like crazy prices on ebay, if you did this you'd do it because you absolutely love laserdiscs as i do and dont care how much money it takes to start producing laserdiscs again, maybee we could al put in and all have shares in owning the copyright for laserdisc or somthing, im jsutsaying it's more realistic then writing a letter that they will just ignor and properbly wont even read for they are a buisness out to make money and doubt it would be worth their wile investing lots of money in facilaties to manufacture laserdiscs movie rights would proberbly also be a issue ect.
    Earthtime3978

Post  Earthtime3978 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:23 pm

I don't see any humor in trying to bring back laserdisc. Maybe those who are not interested in it would laugh. This a forum for the LD enthusiast. I never suggested writting ONE letter to be ignored. I'm talking a blistering letter campaign by all LD fans, directly at Pioneer or others. Also, there are more than a "few" vinyl records being produced. And, they are being produced because there is a DEMAND for it. So, vinyl and CDs can co-exist. I know laserdisc can exist with with the blu ray saturated marketplace. Of course its about money, what isn't?? Stay on the path and dont be too cynical. I guarantee a new laserdisc will be pressed, I just don't know when.
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

What a lovely idea this is, but......

Post  DGTWoodward on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:52 pm

There are many obstacles to negotiate, and I think that the major one around now is addressed by this question...

If our proprosed campaign actually gained headway, what would we watch our Laserdiscs on?

The technology was designed to work on CRT TVs. Try finding one, a decent one. Not easy.

The viewing technology has moved past the analogue output of Laserdisc. Please not, I did not say that it has improved past it, just that it has moved past it.

All digital HD TVs these days are designed specifically to give optimum performance from all-digital sources. They only have the legacy inputs (scart, S-Video and composite) because they absolutely have to, but no real technology inside is dedicated to making it look good.

So any rebirth of LD would need co-operation on the LCD/Plasma TV manufacturers in re-thinking how they make the sets, as I cannot see a relaunch of CRTs any time soon.

Still, despite how it might sound, I am up for it. It is a lovely system.

Post  Earthtime3978 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:28 pm

What do people play there new vinyl discs on? Some play them on brand new, technically advanced turntables. Those turntables were creates specifically for the new vinyl market. Some people like their older model turntables playing their new vinyl pressings. The mechanism on which they are played is really irrelevant. If the laserdiscs are pressed, the new players will follow, and be advertised in magazines like Sound And Vision. They totally push the new vinyl upsurge. The new lasersics will not use "old" technology connected with displaying them on only CRT sets. The desire is for the format (laserdisc) to remain an analog picture with digital sound, just like vinyl's true core remains the same. Our current wave of digitl TVs, your right, are just that, deseigned for digital viewing. But contrary to the belief of some, laserdsic can be optimized for plasma and LCD. I can get a real good picture out of LCD, and especially Plasma with LD. Also remember, electronics always evolve. New TVs will arise at some point. DVDs are good but basically a piece of crap cosmetically (and more). Some people want the thrill of buying a movie back. Thats laserdisc's heritage. I agree with you on negotiations though, thats where it starts.
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Don't mis-understand me, I'd love that to happen too, and if it is possible, I am in!!!

I agree that I too can get a good picture from all my LD players, with a decent calibration tool (like my Video Essentials LD) and they will put out very watchable pictures indeed on both of our large LCD panels.

But with the legacy analogue connections already slowly dropping off the C.E. manufacturer's "Things our newest range of TV must have on them" list, any forward movement would need a way to convince them that analogues are still relevant and necessary. The flip side of this woud be to have any new machines built with a D/A-HDMI converter so that the TV will understand and make a viewable picture from the LD's signal. But then that will remove the warmth and charm from what is an all analogue format.

Either way, it would take some major talking to change their thinking.

Interesting thread! Let's keep batting it around.

Post  Earthtime3978 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Very good points. We can't at this point get too picky about what display models we will watch LD on. The main thrust is to just strive for new pressings to occur, period! If new pressings do occur we will just have to be satisfied with watching them on front/rear projection, plasma, LCD, DLP, CRT etc. How many times have we seen adaptations to TVs, receivers, players and the like? Numerous times. Like you said, you never want to loose the pure analog signal from the LD player though. I know I was very skeptical about NEW vinyl records being pressed, but alas it happened. I don't think a new laserdisc pressing will happen anytime soon but we are the consumers, and we have power. Get out the current Pioneer or whatever company you hold high addresses and begin writting. Articles sent to, and printed in audio/visual mags will also contribute to the movement. If money can be made on new vinyl pressings and equiptment there is definetely hope.

Laserdisk-Kid
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Laserdisk-Kid on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:10 am

why don't you make a Partition website or something rather then just talking about bringing LD's back into the nieche market, rather then siting around talking about it, why dont we actually do it, and you'll probably need several hundred thousand signatures before anyone will probably take it seriously and start producing LD's again.

Also, LD's on Projectors look awesome, my copy of star wars episode 1 and night to remember look amazing and better then the DVD
    Earthtime3978

Post  Earthtime3978 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 pm

We're all fans of LD, let's not assume. I'm not, "sitting around talking about it", I've been at the door of Pioneer and Panasonic (literally). I've had articles printed in newspapers and magazines pushing for an LD comeback. As well, I always encourage others to get on the band wagon. That is what I'm doing here on this site. Petions have been gathered and sent from the New York, New Jersey area in the US. I have the beginnings of a web site dedicated to an LD comeback at wordpress.com, punch in the words Laserdisc Today to search for it (basic stuff, but join in).

I'm not as computer savy as you young guys who grew up holding a PC but I try. You said this right though, why dont "WE" do it. I know as many of you do that vinyl came back not because people had "hundreds and thousands" of dollars but because the market place DEMANDED it; so.. those at the top who have the MONEY took interest (they like vinyl or laser too)so they could make more MONEY. Thats the money issue spelled out.

But yeah if you happen to be a rich dude, dump some money into the cause, it can only help. Yes your right, LDs do look awesome on projectors and that should be stressed more often. If I came off rough it is only because we don't need doubters and naysayers making laserdisc's already difficult climb towards a respected format again diminished. Hang tough and contribute. Suggestions are welcome here( thanks to the owner) and elsewhere. Starting a petition on line is a good suggestion. Very Happy

Laserdisk-Kid
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Laserdisk-Kid on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 pm

I'd love laserdiscs to come back in probably as much as you guys,
    although if they do come back --and hopefully they will but probably not for a few years--
    It'll be awesome to see pronts of LOTR and avatar on Ld and many more
    if they do come back i believe they will probably be as expensive as when they first were realised, it's not as simple as coding a DVD ((witch anyone can do these days))
    i wonder if some of the old equipment used to origonaly build the masters of Ld's and print them is still around.

I i wonder how many Ld fans their are out their, this was the first forum i found dedicated to laserdisc and it took me a while to find it when i went looking for a laserdisc forum on google.

I'll defiantly put my name in to sign a petition --just mensiond the website before couse it's easier to get lots of awareness and peoples signatures from the internet these days--

i've stopped bying dvd's and only by LD's now --cause i dont get that shitty blurriness you can get with bad dvd's-- and i love the cover-art, and on DVd's it's way smaller then a LD cover so you can appreciate the detail in the covers more, and everyone loves seeing themself in a large shiny reflection.
    Earthtime3978

Post  Earthtime3978 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Sounds like your onboard the laserdisc train. We need younger guys like you to spread the word. Most teens and 20 year olds don't even know what a laserdisc is. Maybe the owner of this site can get a petition page started. I mentioned my site (which is just a blog-with no responses yet)that I need to add a petition area to. When you go to wordpress.com, you need to capitilize the letters L and T in Laserdisc Today to find it in the search. There are plenty of great laserdisc forums and articles out there. Unfortunately many of them do not talk about a comeback.

Too many people believe there is no hope of that because of the blu ray phenomenon. There are laserdisc fans in the hundreds of thousands, most of whom remain unknown. Everyone interested has to do there part. As I've said before, it will sadly be a long wait.

Laserdisk-Kid
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Laserdisk-Kid on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Maybe some collectors don't want laserdisc to come back because they wont feel special anymore that they have something extremely rare because new prints are being made.
    ((not that i really care i just want the Discs and it pisses me of when i want a disk that generally goes for 60+ dollars or even 100+

yeah, when i first got my LD's ((a month or so ago)) all my friends though i had vinals of movie soundtracks and they were like, fuck it's a hudge fucking disc WTF

I'm pretty good at computer animation so I'll put together a laser-disck promo or somthing for the website using Cg and filming discs on my projector

most people look at the res numbers and say dough it looks shit.
    i wonder how many "Younger people" like myself are getting into laserdisc? i hope to start a cool trend but the players are 300+ and importing them is 100+ ((i got my player for 160)) inclueding shipping, i thought i was lucky --shipping from US to Australia--

i just replaced my DVD copies of Urotsukidoji 1&2 with LD versions and got number 3 on LD.
    i also picked up this not for re sale MGM promotional movie sampler disc for $5
    looked on ebay one on their for like 76 im like, why would you pay that much?

being a student it's going to take me a long time to colect all the discs i want to and hopfully get some new prints when they come out ^^

i sware sometimes i just wanna by an LD just couse the covers look realy awesome on some of them
    cheers

among the more expensive tittles i want to get are THX demo disk and the dolby digital JP disk and Panther Girl of the Congo.
    March
    Admin

Post  March on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Earthtime3978 wrote: Maybe the owner of this site can get a petition page started.

Yes we should definitely have a petition page. How do you guys think I should word it? Should we have a sticky tread?

Would we just need names or names and addresses? I'm not sure how people would feel posting their addresses on the net. Maybe we could have names and city on posted in the sticky and everyone's address could be sent as a PM to admin to keep them private, but available if and when requested by Pioneer etc?

Laserdisk-Kid
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Laserdisk-Kid on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 am

adress's for when they are needed i say to prove these are real people not just 1 person faking thousands of names so we can prove it is legit.

how about something like this:'

((maybee more complex and profesonalwords used then kindl ect. should be used.

Dear Pioneer,

we on behalf of the Laserdisc community
    kindly request the production and magnification of new prints and discs of the format known as laserdisc.
    Also laserdisc players to be installed in high end price DVD or Blue-ray players.
    their are many consumers in the film market who would gladly, receive new laserdisc prints with exultation and respect.

On behalf of the wide larsdisc community across many nations I herby sign this partition.

Laugh if you will but at least i gave it a go guys Very Happy

Reelmaster Oz
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  Reelmaster Oz on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 am

I'm all in for doing my part
    What I'd like to see is a Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player/recorder and Laserdisc player combo machine

if LD was to return it would need to have the picture quality improved upon or just bring back hi vision muse 1080i

the hollywood film studios have machines that remaster films up to 4,000P (read it in a home cinema mag) and then downscale to 1080P
    the youngsters today I cant imagine would buy a huge 12 inch disc

so yeah not sure what the chances are of LD returning but never say never

Wim1310

Post  Wim1310 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I'd like to think that a technically updated LD, while keeping everything about it that was great to begin with, might have a chance... One thing I think it should get rid of are the side breaks. While people like us here on the forum don't mind them, the fact that a movie is spread out over several sides/discs does seem to be the single biggest complaint people have/had about the medium.
    For a while now, I have the impression that there does seem to be a returning interest in Laserdisc with all sorts of forums and online-retailers popping up on the net again. I don't know it's enough to realistically expect a comeback especially since everybody is so obsessed with getting everything as small and tiny (and cheap) as possible

My Name is Anonymous
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  My Name is Anonymous on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I dont think laserdiscs should be compared to the resurgance in popularity of vinyl records. Laserdisc is a format is no longer created, we just pass around discs already in existence. Though vinyl fell in popularity some years ago it was still being pressed around the world, maybe in still numbers and by bands with no mainstream appeal but it was still being done. Vinyl never went completely away from the public eye in the way LD has.

I would love to see new LD releases but dont think it wise to hope for it or expect it because vinyl has come back in a big way.
    IrlingLegorm
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  IrlingLegorm on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Earthtime3978 wrote:Ok, were stuck in the annoying world of pixelazation. But most of us are not anti-digital, after all LD has awesome digital sound. We're pro analog (video) and someimes for me, audio. We need the alternative: LASERDISC! What are your suggestions on how to bring Laserdisc alive again? It actually starts at the top, Pioneer etc., but no change will come unless there is a demand in the marketplace for it. We literally need a revival and I thank the owner of this website for being a part of that. I believe a "letter" campaign is the beginning. What do you say? Put it out there.

Good evening! LD may revive, as well as vinyl. But that this should be done? If we talk about music on the LD, it is necessary MEGA popular group, which will be written primarily for the LD and Vinyl strongly advocating these carriers. + For that would revive the LD needs someone who as the creator of a vinyl company PRO-JECT agree to invest money in building a plant to produce LD players and discs, and in improving the technology. Emphasis should be done in analog sound, as he is better than digital (with the image as well) and then LD will not be perceived as a great DVD (which can happen if it will be fully digital).
    As for LCD TVs and plasma, then I look at the LCD TV, LD, and I think that these are very good TV for viewing video LDs. So that modern TVs is not a hindrance revival LD.
    And finally - if you want you can achieve everything in the world today are increasingly looking at analog technology and a competent advertising we will be able to return the analog technology in the first place!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:44 am