RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Collection Updates - Page 9 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

+19
icecapuk10
IrlingLegorm
Xtempo
Laserbite84
LaFong
artistic_gore
elwood1965
Kashim
Reelmaster Oz
Hemispheres2112
Wim1310
My Name is Anonymous
Stevo
RetroK
DGTWoodward
bullruckle
Rayzor1
nissling
March
23 posters

Collection Updates

LaFong
    LaFong
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty Re: Collection Updates

Post  LaFong Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I tip my hat to the members of this forum. These collection updates contain gem after gem. -And blessed be the kind souls donating thier collections to us.
    My Name is Anonymous
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  My Name is Anonymous Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:01 pm

bullruckle wrote:Nice pick up MNIA. I really like the Highlander 10th Anniversary cover and Commando is an awesome movie.

Tough I was meant to be saving for my upcoming wedding, I couldnt resist bidding on this lot a couple of weeks back.

Lot 1

No OBIs unfortunately, which is a shame as the Beach's OBI looks sweet with the cover. Also picked up the special edition of Bedknobs and Broomsticks which is a childhood favourite of mine.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding BR. I'm supposed to be saving to buy a house so my missus goes mad everytime I get a new LD. I need to buy a house and get a job that pays more than the pittance I get now so I can get the discs I really want without having to worry about prices.

Still, the hunt for a bargain is most of the fun.

Thats a great haul as well DGT. Doubly good for it being free.
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Post  bullruckle Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks MNIA

Was lucky enough to pick up a few later releases yesterday.

Lot 1
    Lot 2
    Lot 3
    Lot 4
    Lot 5

Tarzan is the last Disney film on LD and the Jin-Roh anime is a 2001 release which is pretty cool.
    LaFong
    LaFong
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  LaFong Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:33 pm

In the name of all things sweet and fancy, what a day you must have had. It's exciting to find titles released close to LD's 3rd act climax, isn't it? They make macheting throught aeons of Jurrasic Parks, Speeds, T2s and Alienss so worth it.
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Post  bullruckle Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:19 pm

bounce BULLRUCKLES 1000 LASERDISC bounce

Notched up my 1000 LD purchase today. My how the last three years have flown and my small apartment has filled up.

Anyway here it is:
    1000th

Nothing overly special, but I do like the movie which is 90% way I buy these damn things anyway Wink

Heres to another 1000 discs and all that comes with it. Especially reading all your great posts on this forum.
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Well done BR. Your collection really is serious impressive.

I think that I have available space for about 1000 total, with some serious shuffling around. But then that's it...done, finito, c'est finis, fertig, terminado...and so on!

Mind you, there is always a plus side...I will only manage 1000 maximum, but that means I still have another 650(ish) titles to get Wink
    LaFong
    LaFong
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  LaFong Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Many happy returns!
    What better way to use the little space we have here in Japan than filling it up with these perfect circles by the 1000s.
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Post  bullruckle Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Picked this lot up in a trade. Arrived today:

Pick Up

Flintstones has a weird cover hey scratch
    Laserbite84
    Laserbite84

Post  Laserbite84 Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:51 am

Admin / DGT nice Laserdisc collection Cool

I’ll chime in with my PAL/NTSC Laserdisc collection. Most of the collection is from where I collected from in the early 90’s to around early 2000 when I stopped as production stopped for Laserdisc and I just carried on with DVD.

A couple of years later in 2000’s I came across a shop that sold laserdiscs after making the mistake a few years earlier of selling most of my NTSC collection and few PAL laserdisc collection SIGH, yes well I know better now, not too sale them at any price.

More recently I started buying off ebay on some rarer so, so Laserdiscs and only one so called very recent misshape because the seller was total shemale of a dick to post to me in flimsy packing!? SIGH

Collection Updates - Page 9 Attachment

Godeneye (1995) performs well even with centre back surround that was on of the first demonstrations I tried back in (1998) with Millennium dts 2.4.6 decoder processor with surrounds patched into the Yamaha DSR-70 Pro-logic. Its action was fast freeing the centre phantom from the stereo surrounds and sending it to a very crude around of matching speakers that I ripped out of shopping store that had closed down.

The tank scene was one of the highlights with wreckage skidding along the sides thus freeing other sound elements has came towards you and crashing behind! Then Bond straightens his tie, nice one.

Jurassic Park (1997) the Lost World was great at the time thou the silly last half of the T-Rex stomping and rooming around the streets was ridiculous. The footfalls and bangs crashes and rolling deep, deep, deep low end rumbles is extremely thrilling god knows what this must have sounded like at the Empire Leicester Square! In the home it violently vibrated the floorboards joists to angry neighbours as it travelled into the semidetached building.

Well at least I know the JBL 4645 was doing its stuff.

Last Man Standing (1996) is brutal no nonsense (shoot them up) action adventure as Bruce enters a small town out in the middle of no where? He’s soon troubled by the towns gang that bust his car up, on the first day then he looks for means of settling the score with white knuckled pistol shootouts with plenty of trigger recoil to satisfy most bass and sub bass heads.

Daylight (1996) is sheer bass sub bass overload its jam packed with well engineered dts mix that’s trilling from the start to the very end of the laserdisc. LCR fronts offer realistic amounts of directional sounds and well focused dialogue intelligibility. Stereo surrounds work well with centre back on this one so give it spin as Sly rigs the incoming water into the tunnel as the rivets start to give under the tremendous water pressure overhead, then fires the explosive! Wham!

Watch the levels I mean watch! The levels on the LFE.1 track if played too loud it will do damage!

Born of the Fourth of July (1989) I seem to remember seeing a dts demonstration 35mm test film at Warner Village 12 screen Bristol, when working for them years ago. The film was released exclusively in 70mm six-track Dolby stereo SR and might have been a good candidate for short demonstration has (Ron Kovic) played by (Tom Cruise) battles in the last final moments before being fatally wounded. Action of the riffle shooting outwards with so much individualism in the sound as well as reloading while still under fire! Mortars continue to drop around and impact in the distance with deep thud! Helicopter point looses control and burst into fiery ball of flames!

While Kovic yells out at the enemy along with John Williams score priceless, then takes a rapped thump! Thump! Thump! bullet to chest, and the score goes mute, with the sound of Foley as Ron falls back paralyzed from the waste down onto his back, unable to do thing.

LFE.1 is sparely used on this film so don’t expect a lot, expect plenty from LCRS.

Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) saw this in dts screen 5 thou it could have been screen 6 as both are identical I think my friend must have thrown the tickets away, this was around December if I remember correctly?

Hmmm, anyway the sound was of average playback the cinemas at the time believe it or not had no sub bass extension for Dolby stereo A and SR types much less LFE.1 discrete track. The LCR was bit underwhelming with the EV stage fronts lacked any decent slam of bass mid it was as if UCI Tower Park didn’t have the bottle to show-off.

Directional sounds are more or less identical on the dts laserdisc I seem to remember sitting front and center while my friend was sat middle centre row. Why am I talking about UCI the presentation sucked it wasn’t THX it sucked!

Laserbite84
    Laserbite84

Post  Laserbite84 Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:54 am

Umm that's a bit of snag I see! Image above is cropped off on the right side! Does this forum have an image size restriction or is like one of those PAL CRT TV sets with bad cropped off right side on the screen? Laughing

Looks like I'll have to reformat the pictures SIGH more work for me.
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty Big Drive Today

Post  bullruckle Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm

(sorry for the copy and paste job but its late and theres no way im typing this lot out again- Oh and I can delete if it looks like the screen is throwing up spoilers all over the place. Just thought some might be interested in having a look)

So my wife was out with friends today, so I thought it was a good opportunity to go for a drive to as many Junk Stores as I could in search of Laserdiscs.
    The place you want for used LDs in Japan is a chain of stores called Hard-Off (luckily not the other way round hey:eek:)

Anyway I took a few snaps of the journey and some finds along the way. (sorry if this post is too big)

Here we go!

HARDOFF 1
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

HARDOFF 2
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

HARDOFF 3
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

HARDOFF 4
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

HARDOFF 5
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

HARDOFF 6
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

HARDOFF 7
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

So I left the house this morning at 10am and got back at 7:30pm. So all up nine and a half hours of sweet Laserdisc action. Though the time does include 30 mins x2 heading in the wrong direction on the paytoll way (that sucked).

Heres what I managed to pick up:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Thought this was pretty cool. It contains a ticket to a live event in Osaka for August 1993:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Also found a Closed Caption Decoder brand new:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Don't really need it, but it was only 20 bucks so I figured I might as well get it just to have the option if I ever find I need to use it.

Anyway that was my day. Good fun but I'm glad tomorrow is a public holiday Wink
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Laserbite84 wrote:Umm that's a bit of snag I see! Image above is cropped off on the right side! Does this forum have an image size restriction or is like one of those PAL CRT TV sets with bad cropped off right side on the screen? Laughing

Looks like I'll have to reformat the pictures SIGH more work for me.

Yes, it does seem to have a limitation to it that is present even if you use the serving.com software. Original image file size may have something to do with it.

Still, the picture is still a good one and it is a good selection of DTS titles.

Good one! Thanks for posting them.
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:31 pm

bullruckle wrote:(sorry for the copy and paste job but its late and theres no way im typing this lot out again- Oh and I can delete if it looks like the screen is throwing up spoilers all over the place. Just thought some might be interested in having a look)

So my wife was out with friends today, so I thought it was a good opportunity to go for a drive to as many Junk Stores as I could in search of Laserdiscs.
    The place you want for used LDs in Japan is a chain of stores called Hard-Off (luckily not the other way round hey:eek:)

Anyway I took a few snaps of the journey and some finds along the way. (sorry if this post is too big)

Here we go!

<snip>

Anyway that was my day. Good fun but I'm glad tomorrow is a public holiday Wink

Well BR, once again...what can one say (and to LaFong too I suppose)? Those sights are something that you just would not see here in the UK, no chance, no where, no how...just aint going to happen kiddos!

I am currently looking around for "Green With Envy" emoticon for me to hit depressingly furiously!

Seriously though, I am really pleased for you, I just wish that it were the same here in England, but LD here was even small than in the USA.

Good selection of titles there mate, Heavy Metal! There's one I have not seen for years! Good slice of music too.

Also, I would like to hear about your Japanese ERASER as all 3 of the USA ones I have had are notoriously rotten.

Well done mate.
    Laserbite84
    Laserbite84

Post  Laserbite84 Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:26 pm

^^^Laserdisc paradise! Shocked Laughing
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Post  bullruckle Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:46 pm

How cool is this disc that I got in an Anime box set today:

Collection Updates - Page 9 E0f1d3e0

Collection Updates - Page 9 E5c66c75

Pretty rad hey? Cool
    Laserbite84
    Laserbite84

Post  Laserbite84 Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Well for fans of that type of show/film I'd say its collectable not many have spacial custom artwork on the laserdisc only a few handful have strange designs. I think there's even a red laserdisc?
    nissling
    nissling
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Post  nissling Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Evil Dead 2 was released with a red disc, I remember that there were a picture disc-edition of some Sailor Moon-volume too.

I picked up American Graffiti (US-THX edition) for 10 sek at a "Retro Gathering" in Alvik.
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty Latest Arrivls from My Mate In Japan.....

Post  DGTWoodward Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 am

Just got these in, in the last few days. One of which is great, one of which is excellent and the third which is a real cracker!!! All from my friend in Japan!

I love the movies so this is a great piece of history...

Collection Updates - Page 9 P9210110

The second is excellent as it is right out of my list...

Collection Updates - Page 9 P9210111

And the third is a jaw dropping, top-prize winning, bona fide cracker!!!!

Collection Updates - Page 9 P9210112

I have the USA AC3 MIB, and in a side-by-side comparison the picture on the Japanese set looks a fair bit darker than the US one, but...there is not one hint of the dreaded Laser-rot on it which, let's face it, the USA one are notorious for. The picture is sharp and clean, no and bleed with the strong colours.

Continued thanks once again to my mate AG in Japan for sourcing these for me.
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Post  bullruckle Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Wow nice pick up DGTW. Must be nice having friends in Japan Laughing. Also I see your only one of 3 people on LDDB to own that Academy awards best off LD. Wonder who the other 2 are?
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty Did not realise...

Post  DGTWoodward Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 pm

I am?

You know, seriously never noticed that!

Great to have friends in Japan indeed cheers

Great pick up yourself by the way, that LD art is very good and, thought that set would not be one for me personally, Anime is well represented on LD and that one in particular is a collectable piece is it not...from what I can see, it's not a cheap one!
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty More Laserdiscs...Part One - Documentaries.

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 am

I have just been working my way through this load of Laserdiscs, given to me by a great fellow called Ernie. I have been sorting through them and photographing them for the lddb.com, but I wont be keeping them all. It was a great donation.

Spoiler:

Ernie is in the trade, a professional sound engineer, so I assume his immensely diverse range of titles must be things that he has worked on, indeed some of the inner sleeves have annotated notes written on them.

Next, Part Two Music....
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty More Laserdiscs...Part Two - Music.

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:55 pm

A good selection of different types of music that I now have....

Spoiler:

Next, Part Three - Features.
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Collection Updates - Page 9 Empty More Laserdiscs...Part Three - Features.

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:00 pm

And finally, the movies in my recent haul...

Spoiler:

That's quite an ecclectic mix there! I also now have a MIB from the USA that has no laser-rot, as a companion piece to my brilliant Japanes boxed set.

Last edited by DGTWoodward on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bullruckle
    bullruckle
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro
    LaserDisc Semi-Pro

Post  bullruckle Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey DGTW,
    Some nice and interesting pick ups there- and a man can never have too many copies of Men In Black Laughing
    DGTWoodward
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:30 pm

bullruckle wrote:Hey DGTW,
    Some nice and interesting pick ups there- and a man can never have too many copies of Men In Black Laughing

I know which my favourite is Smile

I also have both of Criterion's versions of CE3K too, now!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:17 am