RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptySat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

2 posters

LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD

March
    March
    Admin

LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD Empty LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD

Post  March Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Here we have a comparison of Terry Gilliam's 'Twelve Monkeys' on LaserDisc & DVD

The DVD player is a low end generic player connected via scart. The LaserDisc player is a Pioneer mid-range machine connected via composite.

The TV is a Sony Bravia 40" LCD

The video was shot in HD with a Canon VIxia HF200

In my opinion, the LaserDisc wins in this particular experiment. Regarding resolution, they appear very similar. There are obvious differences in the colours and tones with positives and negatives for both formats.

There really is no comparison on sound, the LaserDisc wins by a mile.

I will be doing a second video with a higher spec DVD player soon which may have a beg effect on these results, but for now LaserDIsc is King!

nissling
    nissling
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD Empty Re: LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD

Post  nissling Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:38 am

I have to say that I'm positively surprised by Laserdisc. Dvd is sharper in a way, but the colors are right on LD which gives a deeper picture. I haven't compared LD to Dvd, but I think I'm going to try it out once and for all. Some people compares LD to Vhs, which is completely stupid imo.
    March
    March
    Admin

LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD Empty Re: LaserDisc Vs. DVD // Direct Comparison on 40" Sony LCD

Post  March Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 am

I was really surprised with the results too. I knew i liked the look of LaserDisc over DVD but didn't realize it actually looks so good technically directly compared to DVD.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm