RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

Your favourite Laserdiscs

LaFong
    LaserDisc Regular
    LaserDisc Regular

Your favourite Laserdiscs

Post  LaFong on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Which discs are your favourites? Clues could be: favourite movie – guilty pleasure – sentimental value – wonderful memories – no-dvd-available release ... anything that makes that/those title(s) special to you.
    Here’s one of mine: The Japanese release of Aldrich’s wonderful “All the Marbles” a.k.a. “California Dolls”. It’s a modern classic by one of the masters of cinema, I personally love it for more reasons than I can think of, it’s nearly impossible to get hold of an official release of it on any format (at least it was last time I checked) – and the cover is deceptively cheery. It’s a Laserdisc favourite.
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Re: Your favourite Laserdiscs

Post  DGTWoodward on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:16 pm

One of my favourites is this....

It's just a classic movie. I don't actually rate either of the leads as great actors despite their unquestionable screen charisma, I much prefer the Claude Rains character and his 'enlightened self interest' view of life.

The PQ and AQ is also excellent - there is just something about B/W on any of the disc formats, it's just outstanding - and there is a fantastic documentary in the set too.

LaserDisc Regular

The Power

Post  LaFong on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Ai ai. That is a beautiful release of one of the best pictures ever made. Wonderful choice.
    I really enjoy owning the LD of George Pal's production "The Power". It's no important classic, but it's classy, expert, fun and full of surprises - and it's beautiful in scope (intact on the LD). I never get bored with it. It's a LaserDisc only title, too, which makes it ever dearer.
    Maybe you know it. It's one of those MGM double feature sets. The companion feature being George Pal's only dreck; Atlantis, The Lost Continent (but it's impossible to hate even that).
    DGTWoodward
    RetroFlix Moderator
    RetroFlix Moderator

Post  DGTWoodward on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't have them, but I know them well, as I have a soft spot for George Pal, his WAR OF THE WORLDS being a favourite staple of my childhood.

My review of the LD available on the review pages, if you're interested.

I owe my love of such colourful SF classics to my lovely mother, who instilled an appreciation for such things into me at an early age. Very Happy

LaserDisc Regular

Post  LaFong on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:48 pm

George Pal was such an important visionary force in cinema and in storytelling daring to take chances and take the audience into new realms. I believe his legacy will prove to be timeless. Your mother did great things for you introducing you to wonderful pictures like his.
    I enjoyed reading your review, as well. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
    Pal's productions are great on LD. I have The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm on a super-duper Japanese LD taken from Cinerama elements complete with the "joins" in the picture. And who doesn't love to see Buddy Hackett and Terry-Thomas fight a dragon?! Yup. It's another favorite, think.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:46 am