RetroFlix - LaserDisc Trading Forum Buy Sell & Swap LaserDiscs

Welcome to RetroFlix LaserDisc Forum

Please register to access and view the full forum.

Why register on RetroFlix?
1. It's FREE :-)
2. Get access to the members forum
3. Free monthly LaserDisc prize draws for all members.

RetroFlix is a forum for LaserDisc collectors to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs

Latest topics

» LDs for sale
Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm by Sam

» FS:two ocean shores kung fu movie laserdisc
Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am by shaolin disciple

» nllaserdiscnl is a thief do not buy anything from him!
Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 pm by smitken

» pioneer laserdisk players for sale
Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm by mercury77

» LDs for sale
Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm by Sam

» New to the site with Laserdiscs to sell.
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:56 am by mercury77

» For Sale, selected special editions and other discs
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am by mercury77

» For Sale : **SONY MDP650 Laserdisc player & discs**
Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 am by mercury77

» Laserdiscs and player
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm by Stevejames

Navigation

Keywords

Welcome to RetroFlix.co.uk

Hello and welcome to retroflix.co.uk - the forum for LaserDisc users. This site has been set up for LaserDisc enthusiasts to chat, buy, sell and swap LaserDiscs and share LaserDisc knowledge.

New member from Cambridge UK

Oliver_uk

New member from Cambridge UK

Post  Oliver_uk on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:36 am

hello everyone,

My name is Ollie. Been collecting LaserDiscs for over 10 years. Ive had a few LD players in my time. I started collecting LDs just when it was dying out and picked up loads of films at the time on the cheap. I was only 17 at the time and was desperate to get the Superman films in widescreen. The DVDs was not available at the time so i hunted down a LD player.

First player i had was a Sony MPD V9K, ok player had auto reverse and AC3. At the time i didnt have much knowledge of the huge leaps of quality between the many players. The Sony had too much picture noise causing the reds to look pink.

Second player i had was a CLD925 which i picked up for like £100 in a second shop. I was pretty impressed with this player far better than the sony. Had good noise reduction and was very reliable. I know it was pretty much the best player for the PAL market.

Most of the films i was collecting were NTSC, i met a chap who was big into LD collecting and he told me to avoid PAL titles, they weren't generally as well mastered as the NTSC counterpart. So i he recommended i get a Pioneer Elite player. I picked up a CLD-99 for about £600 at the time. Which was pretty expensive but it had never been used. The picture quality was a huge leap from the 925, great clarity and colour. You can see my review here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQr9VtMYQqA

Last summer i sold off the CLD99 and i was trying to hunt down a CLDR7G or a LD S9 both were fetching high prices and i came across a EAD T-8000 LD player. you can see the review here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsu8sJvWHsw

I look forward to the LaserDisc ranting!

all the best

elwood1965

Re: New member from Cambridge UK

Post  elwood1965 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 am

Good list of players there Ollie, welcome to the forum.

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 pm